SCImago Institutions Rankings has published the global classification of higher education institutions and research practitioners for the year 2018. It is worth mentioning that SCImago Institutions Rankings ranked 25 Romanian universities (only those that meet the minimum criteria for the number of scientific papers published).
All five ARUT member universities (the Romanian Alliance of Technical Universities) are in the national rankings and four of them are among the top seven Romanian universities.
University performance evaluation in SCImago Institutions Rankings is based on the following criteria:
- the total of documents published and indexed in SCOPUS;
- percentage of total publications of those made with other institutions;
- the normalized value of citations per article;
- the percentage of the institution's publications in the top 25% of the top-rated journals in the field;
- the dispersal of the institution's scientific themes;
- the percentage of the institution's output in the most quoted 10% articles in that field;
- percent of the total items in which the main author is part of the institution;
- the total number of authors within the institution;
- total scientific production cited in patents;
- percentage of the total quoted in patents;
- Societal Impact
- the size of the web (the number of pages associated with the institution);
- total of external site visits of the institution's web site.
SCImago Institutions Rankings bases its analysis exclusively on information gathered from international databases, being, from this point of view, outside the influences of data provided by universities.
SCImago Institutions Rankings for the year 2018, globally, comprises 3232 universities, and based on rankings, the ARUT member universities are as follows:
- Politehnica University of Bucharest - first place at the national level - 459th place worldwide,
- Politehnica University of Timisoara - 3rd place nationwide - 512th place worldwide,
- Technical University of Cluj Napoca - 4th place nationwide - 515th place globally,
- Gheorghe Asachi Technical University in Iasi - the seventh place at the national level - the 535th place at the global level,
- Technical University of Civil Engineering Bucharest - 21st place nationwide - 608th place worldwide.
In terms of positioning in Eastern Europe (including Russia, Czech Republic Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Kosovo, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Georgia , Belarus, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Moldova), of the over 1000 higher education institutions, only 141 universities were classified, the ARUT member universities occupying the following positions:
- Politehnica University of Bucharest - 25th place,
- Politehnica University of Timisoara - 47th place,
- Technical University of Cluj-Napoca - 50th place,
- Gheorghe Asachi Technical University in Iasi - 63rd place,
- Technical University of Civil Engineering Bucharest - 126th place.