Bucharest, 22-23 February 2018
The members of The Romanian Alliance of Technical Universities – ARUT officially represented by the rectors of the universities, have met between 22-23 February 2018 in a working reunion at the The Technical University of Civil Engineering of Bucharest (URCB). In this working reunion, part of the guests’ list that honoured the event with their attendances were: The Minister of National Education - prof.univ.dr.ing Valentin Popa, The Minister of Innovation and Research – prof.univ.dr.ing. Nicoale Brunete, The Minister of Energy – prof.univ.dr.ing. Anton Anton president of A.R.A.C.I.S – prof.univ.dr.ing. Iordan Petrescu, president of C.N.F.I.S – prof.univ.dr. Claudia Popescu and president of ANC – prof.univ.dr.ing. Tiberiu Dobrescu.
This year is the 200-year anniversary technical higher education in Bucharest, from when the illuminist and patriot Gheorghe Lazăr founded, in Bucharest, at the monastery Sfântu Sava, “an academy of science, in his mother’s language” where the first engineers used to be trained. The assembly of The Romanian Alliance of Technical Universities (ARUT) at the The Technical University of Civil Engineering of Bucharest (URCB) is part of the series of events marking the double centenary of the technical universities of Bucharest: Politehnica University of Bucharest (UPB) and The Technical University of Civil Engineering of Bucharest (UTCB).
In this meeting were reviewed strategic aspects of technical higher education, the current problems faced by Romanian universities, as well as proposals for carrying out research and mobility programs within ARUT.
- Taking into consideration:
- some of the Council of Europe's negative findings on higher education in Romania’s National Reform Program, such as: the lack of correlation between the proposed competences and those required on the labor market, the large number of university education programmes,
- it’s recommendations on the need of correlating the National Qualifications Framework, the European Qualifications Framework and the compatibility of the International Classification of Education - ISCED with the study fields in Romania,
- the triggering of the regulation process of engineering education within the European Union,
- the need to establish a common trunk of learning outcomes by engineering field,
ARUT members express their willingness to participate in the specific activities meant to contribute to the achievement of the objectives stated above and formulated within the POCU project, Priority Axis 6 "Education and Competencies" coordinated by MEN (Ministry of National Education) and ANC (National Agency for Qualifications).
- During the debates, the importance of adopting some major measures for a better correlation of the Romanian higher education system with the European one and with the requirements of the labor market was emphasized. ARUT members will prepare for the next meeting of the Alliance a restructuring project for engineering study cycles. After debates with the economic environment, other universities and stakeholders, the project will then be proposed to the Ministry of National Education.
- ARUT brings to the attention of the National Council for Statistics and Prognosis of Higher Education (CNSPIS) the need of establishing proposals on how to allocate budgeted places for the three cycles of study, beyond priorities given by national strategies, labor market requirements, and other criteria such as: employment rate in the field of study, scientific results obtained (for the doctoral cycle).
- The members of the Romanian Alliance of Technical Universities - ARUT have decided to organize this year the first national inter-university research grants competitions within ARUT to support the scientific career of young researchers. The competition will take place on an individual level as well as on three-member joint teams from three distinct universities within ARUT.
- The ARUT inter-university mobility program for both university students and teachers was also approved.
The next meeting of the Romanian Alliance of Technical Universities will be organized in Timișoara at the beginning of May.
President of ARUT
Politehnica University of Timisoara
Politehnica University of Bucharest
Technical University of Cluj-Napoca
“Gheorghe Asachi” Technical University of Iasi
|Radu Sorin VĂCĂREANU
The Technical University of Civil Engineering of Bucharest